7 April 2008

Come on baby light my fire.

The Olympic Torch relay took place through London yesterday and what a calamity it was. (See a video at http://www.guardian.co.uk/ uk/video/2008/apr/07/torch.protests.london)
The torch was lit at Wembley stadium in front of about ten people but as it left the arena, some mad campaigners tried to jump through the closed doors of the bus which the torch was to enter. What nutters! Whenever I get a bus, I wait at a bus stop and stick my arm out at the bus which then stops and the doors open so I can board. Maybe they should try this technique next time.
And then, as the torch is being held by a runner who is surrounded by security, a man who is just merely waving a flag of his favourite football team (Arsenal?) to the camera, is savagely dump tackled to the ground by a police officer who must have been a Tottenham fan.
The moment when a protester sprayed a fire extinquisher at the torch made me laugh. The policemen went mad as they probably thought it was some gaseous form of anthrax whereas in reality, the protester was just sticking to the strict health and safety restrictions of London which state that no fires should be lit in the street.
I'm not politically biased or anything but just for a laugh, if I had been selected to carry the torch, I would have lobbed the torch off Tower Bridge and seen how everyone would react. It's a shame Trevor Macdonald never thought of doing it.
And why in Grenwhich did the Chairman of the Beijing Olympic Comittee give his speech in Chinease? Last time I watched, the characters of Eastenders all spoke English. I suppose no one wanted to stop the bloke as he looked pretty happy with himself.

No comments: