27 April 2009

Weakest Name = Kay

My quest for fame and riches this week led me to the Weakest Link - a shabby hotel in Cambridge to be precise. After applying for the show over a year ago (when I had time to watch such things, different story nowadays), I was surprised to receive a call during the week, off a lady with a pretty delicious voice, telling me that I had been selected for an audition. At first I was reluctant; did I have the time to participate? Was it worth it? After telling a few of the lads I decided 'hell why not'. After all, an opportunity such as this is unlikely to ever arise again and even if I didn't win anything, it would generate some decent banter.
So, I travelled to Cambridge, got to the hotel and sat in the waiting room with the eight other auditionees. There was a wide range of people from Cliff, a retired teacher, loved the sound of his own voice and just kept chatting about random crap to Kay-Anne, a bit of a hippy, she and got really annoyed when you called her Kay. Like I kept doing.
We were then asked to enter the conference room where there were chairs set up in a semi-circle and first of all we had to introduce ourselves. Bog standard stuff, I went first and mentioned I had size 8 feet just to say something and then everyone else said what size feet they had. Why?
There were a couple of other students there who were pretty fat and did waste-of-time subjects like philosophy and politics at Cambridge and Manchester respectively. One right nerd worked in a chemists laboratory and he bored me a lot.
After, we played a round of the quiz, with all the banking included. It worked out that we answered three questions each and I got one wrong - "What country is Budapest the capital of?" I knew it was somewhere in west Europe. "Czech Republic". Wrong. It's Hungary.
Despite this, Kay-Anne got voted off by everybody because she got two wrong, even though they were tricky ones: "How many points does a touchdown score in American football?" Six apparently.
Following the round, this camp guy then grilled us like Anne Robinson would have. I got slagged off for being a 'lazy' student but it wasn't too severe. For others though it was pretty harsh: Kay-Anne got slagged off for this floral dress she was wearing and this old woman got done for being precisely that, old.
Finally, we were all individually interviewed for five minutes in front of a camera, just telling about ourselves. Easy, just talk shit.
They'll give me a call in the next four weeks to tell me I'm in. Here's hoping!

No comments: