16 October 2009

Lightning doesn't strike Twice

With a chill in the breeze, Wolverhampton night meetings becoming more regular and the top racehorses retiring to sud, it most definitely feels like the ed of the flat season.
For me, Newmarket's Champions Meeting tomorrow is the annual last hurrah for the speed kings. I know there's the November Handicap meeting to contend with still but, let's be honest, we won't be seeing too many superstars there and the Breeders' Cup has taken a significant knock with the imperious Sea The Stars deciding that he'll be better off enjoying the company of some lady friends rather than trounce the same old horses, this time in America.
I don't know if I'm alone on this but, I find the Champions Meeting one which is quite profitable. Maybe it's because the best horses usually win or because you can put your money on safe in the knowledge that connections are trying, but my selections always do themselves proud.
This year is no different. New Approach was scorching value at 6/4 in last year's headline Champion Stakes and the horse he beat into second that year, Twice Over, can go one better this time around.
Not only that, I've also cracked the Dewhurst Stakes as well. A quality renewal it is and I think Silver Grecian will get back to winning ways with Dick Turpin filling the runner's up spot.

No comments: